Monday, August 13, 2012

Lining up

Anyone who teaches young kids knows that getting them to line up is one of the largest challenges of the day unless they have a specific spot to stand/sit on.

I have two kids who always put themselves in back and while we are walking they will dance around each other trying to be the last person in line. It is beyond annoying.

I started putting pictures on the floor for them to stand on when we line up and I change them every two weeks as our unit changes. I have two pictures here.

The first is from our space unit. The pictures start at the sun and then the planets stretch out in the correct order. We were able to use this for more than lining up. We used it as a visual representation when we talked about why we can't live on other planets (too close or too far from the sun). We also used it for a game where they rolled dice and did a "planet hop."

The second picture is our animal unit. The only learning I was able to do with this was to talk about which animal was which. However, the "line leader" picture is a picture of my puppy. So whenever they are being really good they get to go sit on Lily. They know she is my puppy and they have all been working really hard to get to sit on Lily. It's very cute.



No comments:

Post a Comment