Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Still life drawings and paintings

We were talking about fruits and vegetables in class so I decided to have them do still life drawings. This little art project actually helped with quite a bit of teaching. That day they learned what an artist is, that there are different kinds of art, and what still life is. The best way I was able to describe a still life was to move around and ask if I was still. They said "No!" Then I froze and asked if I was still and they shouted Yes! So I explained that Still Life drawings are when we draw things that are frozen in front of us. I put a bowl of toy food in the middle of the table and gave them colored pencils. The paper I gave them had a big circle drawn in the middle. I explained to them that that was their bowl and they needed to draw the fruit inside. We did the exact same thing with water colors later that week. When I asked them later in the week what a still life was, most of them were able to explain it to me.

Below is a some of their drawings that I hung up. Backed up in green are some quotes of them telling me what they drew.

My favorite: "I drew an apple and rain."


No comments:

Post a Comment